Search This Blog

Monday, April 7, 2014

Networking in Person

If you are like most people, the thought of a networking event doesn't sit well in your stomach. At first, I was the same way. I was scared, afraid that I wouldn't be able to hold a conversation or that I would make an absolute fool of myself. Through experience, I can say I've gotten fairly efficient at good ole face to face networking. Although I can't hold your hand when you are at an event, I can share with you some tips that will make you stand out as well as be remembered after the event. There is no particular order, just tips of the trade.


  • Dress to what the event calls for. Make sure to check, double check, and triple check what the advertised dress code is for the event. I've shown up in suit when I shouldn't have and jeans and a polo when I shouldn't have--both of which were embarrassing. I'll post something in the future that outlines what the different levels of dressing up are and my take on them. 
  • Put a name tag on your right pectoral. I think it is worth it to invest in a permanent name tag because it gives the sense that you are prepared and that you are not a rookie, but a paper one will do if that is all you have. Make sure to write your name in big letters so people can make it out from afar. If you have a "common" name (not to sound rude here...), you should put the first letter of your last name to differentiate yourself. Here is the kicker, something everyone overlooks--put the name tag on your right pectoral (obviously on the outside of your jacket, polo, what have you). When you go out to shake someone's hand with your right arm extended, your arm leads visually straight to your name tag. Recruiters and seasoned professionals can spot rookies by looking at the placement of their name tag. 
  • Smile and look friendly. This goes without saying. If you want to meet people and have genuine conversations, you have to be approachable. If this isn't you, then you should stand in front of a mirror and practice your smile so its not too big (like a 5 year old going to the carnival) or not too smirky (like a straight-up creep). 
  • Don't go crazy on the food and drinks. For you college kids, this might be a little weird. I know it was for me. I go to an event with a free open bar and all my friends, and you tell me that I can't drink? Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Over time I developed a methodology that allows me one drink for the entire event and one time to the food table. Be on the lookout for people you want to talk to at the bar or near the food because its easy hunting out there to start conversations. 
  • Don't get into a "talking circle" if it is too big. Popular people at networking events get a bigger gravitational pull. The more people around someone, the more you will probably think, "I need to see what they are talking about." Don't do it. It is hard to get a word in when there are so many people and you can do nothing more than nod politely and smile. Get out of a group that is getting too big and go start up more intimate conversations. 
  • Give a business card before asking for one. This is dependent on if you have business cards. If not, I would recommend getting them through an inexpensive source (you can Google that all day). At the end of most of the conversations in a networking setting, I always extend my business card out to the person I am talking to first, and then wait until they give me one of their cards. I find it off-putting and rude to straight up ask for a business card because it puts them on the spot. There are many cultural norms when giving business cards to a person you just met. In American culture, hand the business card to them with the hand you shook their hand with (your right hand). In Eastern Asian culture, for example, you give an acquaintance your business cards with two hands extended and make sure that it is in pristine condition. 
Hopefully you can take one thing from this list of tips and apply it at your next event. Just remember that networking is no more than talking politely (not too hard, right?). The hard part is getting over your fear of talking to a complete stranger that could potentially make or break your future career. Take things slowly, always look approachable, and be genuine. Simply put, be a people person (or at least fake it as best you can). 

No comments:

Post a Comment